Here’s how to turn on Maintenance Mode in Drupal 7:
- Go to “Configuration” then “Maintenance mode”.
- Make sure the “Put site into maintenance mode” box is checked
- Enter the message you want visitors to see during the interruption.
- Click “Save configuration”.
- You’ll now see a message saying “The configuration options have been saved”.
- You will be able to browse around your site without problems but visitors who aren’t logged in will see the message above.
- If you log yourself and can’t get back in, just add /?q=user after your site address and you’ll be back to the user login page.